Pages

Monday, June 10, 2019

Supporting Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs)


Certified nursing assistants are usually responsible for the general care of patients in various settings. During my hospice volunteer rounds in Detroit nursing homes, I met many. They were generally first responders meeting residents’ needs. Residents frequently thought of them first when they evaluated their nursing home experience.


Because they worked closely with residents, I had many opportunities to talk with them. They seemed glad to have me there assisting my hospice patients while lightening their workload, especially at mealtimes. They shared their concerns about low pay, staff shortages, difficult work conditions, and not being appreciated.

These are two comments I have heard them express to me about their jobs at nursing homes:

1) “I love working here. It’s not perfect, but we try to work as a team. I treat my patients like they are my family. For some of them, I’m the only one they can really talk to about their true feelings. I know what I do matters.”

2) "This place is depressing. I usually have more patients than I’m supposed to, and nothing I do is enough. It’s low pay with high pressure, but I need the job. When I try to make suggestions, nobody listens. I’m really frustrated."

I found that many CNAs valued their jobs and relationships with residents during stressful situations. They made positive choices while working to improve conditions. Attitude was everything. This wasn’t always easy, especially on a daily basis or during the middle of a crisis. I have seen a CNA get slapped so hard by a resident with dementia that she almost fell. But she maintained her composure and moved on while another CNA interceded. The passion many had for what they were doing helped them overcome adversity.

Like people, all work environments are not good, and all are not bad. A work climate suffers greatly when large numbers of staff stay discontented. Nobody, including residents, benefits from a negative healthcare environment. Welcoming constructive input from all staff members, including nursing assistants, respects everyone. So does working as a team. Oral or written words of appreciation, when deserved, can go a long way in healing trampled self-esteem. An added benefit is decreased staff turnover. When the word gets around, more nursing assistants will choose a facility where they feel respected.

I celebrate everyone doing a fine job working in nursing homes and other healthcare facilities. But this post is written especially in support of certified nursing assistants who help patients, positively touch lives, and will be even more in demand in the future to assist nurses and become nurses. Thank you. I wish you all the best!




Frances Shani Parker, Author
Becoming Dead Right: A Hospice Volunteer in Urban Nursing Homes is available in paperback and e-book editions in America and other countries at online and offline booksellers.
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment