Pages

Friday, September 28, 2007

Caregiver Stress Solutions (Video 1:40 mins.)

Caregiving and stress hug too much. While many caregivers welcome the opportunity to give of themselves to their loved ones, they still find the challenge overwhelming sometimes. Then there are caregivers who never wanted the job. Perhaps they were the only ones available who would step up and accept responsibility for a difficult problem. They need help the most. Stress can take a serious physical, mental, and emotional toll on caregivers. For that reason, caregivers must always be mindful of taking care of themselves.

Probably what caregivers need most is for others to be their caregivers in some ways. The Alliance for Aging and Research reports that surveyed caregivers expressed these concerns:

1) They want programs that save them time, give them a rest from caregiving, and make them feel that they are cared about.

2) Six in ten caregivers say they would be somewhat likely to use the services of an expert they could talk to about their stress. About the same percentage would use a mobile health service in their neighborhoods.

The average person can help a caregiver in several ways:

1) Offer to assist a caregiver by temporarily relieving some of their burden physically or financially.

2) Share an uplifting activity with them.

3) Keep them informed about services that can help them. Aid them in getting the services.

4) Be a good listener and offer encouragement.

This video shows the stress of caregivers and their need for support.

Frances Shani Parker, Author
"Becoming Dead Right: A Hospice Volunteer in Urban Nursing Homes”
Hospice and Nursing Homes Blog

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! Caregivers need caregivers!

    My daughters cared for me as I was caring for my mother. They were my advocates. On stressful days, and without being asked or told to, they'd do little things for me--fix dinner, draw me a bath, make me a cup of tea and tell me to go sit down.

    They watched my mother so I could take one college class a week--one night a week. I felt like mush trudging off to class, but I was glad I went, glad I did something non-caregiving related.

    As an expert caregiver and presenter on the topic now to many conferences and support groups, I suggest that the other siblings support the primary caregiver.
    Usually, one child surfaces as the primary--because of distance, life circumstances, temprement, or medical training. But the other siblings can play a role--even long distance. They can care for the caregiver.

    I have more tips on my website at www.mothering-mother.com.

    Good blog! I think this is right on target!

    ~Carol D. O'Dell
    author of MOTHEIRNG MOTHER
    available on Amazon and in most bookstores.

    ReplyDelete