Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Hospice and Nursing Home Writing: Becoming Dead Right: A Hospice Volunteer in Urban Nursing Homes (Loving Healing Press, Sept. 2007)

For those who enjoy writing, hospice work can be a great source of inspiration. I have always been fascinated by the written word and the impact it has on readers. As I became more involved with hospice volunteering in Detroit nursing homes, I found myself writing poetry and prose about my experiences.

During poetry readings at various venues, I noticed that people approached me often to discuss a loved one who had been terminally ill. They seemed relieved to talk to someone who was open to discussing illness and death. Most people avoid talking about these topics. With our aging, diverse population, there is an urgency for more conversations on end-of-life care.

“Write what you know” is a common saying, and that’s what I did. Becoming Dead Right includes true stories, poems, “how to” advice, general information, and insights resulting from my hospice volunteer experiences. While universal concerns are covered, the often-ignored perspectives of people of color are included in this tour guide for navigating death journeys.

Stringing thoughts together into written words can be challenging, pleasurable, and therapeutic. From places inside, words rise that affirm oneness with others, make sense of nonsense, and, hopefully, sweeten the world.

You can read a review of the book here.
You can listen to a podcast radio interview with me at www.AuthorsAudio.com.


Frances Shani Parker, Author
Becoming Dead Right: A Hospice Volunteer in Urban Nursing Homes is available in paperback at many booksellers and in e-book form at Amazon and Barnes and Noble booksellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment