Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Hospice and Palliative Care: Puppets, Depression, and Dementia (Video 3:20 mins.)

Although various forms of therapy are used to help terminally ill patients who are depressed or who have dementia, I was not familiar with puppet therapy for adults with these conditions. Puppets are used as tools for the puppeteer to communicate with these patients. The goal is to break down barriers that patients are experiencing and replace them with feelings of love and improved levels of communication.

The previously posted video to help hospice and palliative care patients with depression or dementia was removed from Youtube by the owner.

2 comments:

  1. Good find Frances!

    I never thought I would see puppets as a therapeutic option for adults. Our peds program has talked about it before, but I am not quite sure how I would approach a patient or their family, and ask, "I would like to try and break thru your suffering using an unusual technique...(long pause, deep breath) puppets.

    Can any other readers comment on seeing this in practice?

    Found only one article in pubmed:

    Expressive puppetry in hospice care.
    Caring. 2001 Oct;20(10):38-40.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say this book is very informative and it has helped me a lot. I just lost my brother from Parkinson and it was very hard to watch him not knowing anythng about the disease. I now understand the changes he went through, too late, but I now know what to expect and how to treat patients. I enjoyed this book thoroughly. Each time I read it I learn something new. It is a must buy. This is much needed information.

    ReplyDelete